14 September 2013

Gratitude Grounds Prayer

CCC 2559: "He who humbles himself will be exalted; humility is the foundation of prayer, only when we humbly acknowledge that 'we do not know how to pray as we ought,' are we ready to receive freely the gift of prayer. 'Man is a beggar before God.'"

If you've been reading this blog for more than a month or two; or, if you've come to me for confession; or, if you've asked me for spiritual direction; or, heard me preach; or, bumped into me at Popeye's Fried Chicken. . .then you know I have One Thing to Say About Prayer:  gratitude, gratitude, gratitude. 

Humility is the foundation of prayer.
Nothing builds humility like gratitude.
And nothing produces gratitude like the generosity of others.
Therefore, your generosity makes my humility possible. . .
Thus, making my prayers for you all the more efficacious!

Over the years (since 2005) HA readers have sent me books via the Wish List. Literally, hundreds of books.  For a while there in the early days of HA, I was receiving two or three books a day for weeks. 

This sort of mendicancy has caused a few raised eyebrows. A former prior (may he RIP) called me "Shameless!" He smiled when he said it. . .but I always got the feeling that he meant it just a little.  Others in the Order have called me out for seeking "personal donations." And still others have protested that begging for books is gauche

I've never wavered. Why? Several reasons: 1) I need the books; 2) My book budget is tiny compared to my need; 3) Offering opportunities for others to share in the preaching ministry is the Dominican Way; 4) Priory libraries tend to be small and dated; 5) more often than not I donate books I've used to priory libraries; 6) and the chance to be grateful for the generosity of God's People is too good to pass up!

SO. . .Thank You Thank You Thank You for your generosity, your kindness, your willingness to participate in the preaching ministry of this Dominican friar!
________________

Follow HancAquam or Subscribe ----->

1 comment: