30 December 2011

Misc. . .

Received Gary Taube's book, Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It.  Started reading this afternoon.
So far, I can tell you that he's taking on the Nutritional Establishment and its "calories in/calories out" approach to losing weight.  

He's tackling the problem of fat accumulation, focusing on the role that insulin plays in our metabolism.  

For me, I can tell you that carbs are the enemy.  If I eat no carbs for breakfast, I am good to go until dinner time.  If I eat one piece of toast, I'm mowing through the fridge like a plague of stoner locusts by 10am. . .and anything not locked away or hidden is fair game until I pass out around 11pm.

Basically, Taubes is taking the Dr. Atkins approach w/o providing a specific diet plan. 

I'll keep you posted!

Also, I'm working on a short book review for The Art of Prayer by Fr. Martial Lekeux, OFM.  This is one of the books I rec'd from St Pius X Press

Follow HancAquam and visit the Kindle Wish List and the Books & Things Wish List Recommend this post on Google!

2 comments:

  1. Pardon the pun, but that book is suppose to be much more digestible than his more scholarly "Good calories, bad Calories"

    Catholic apologist Jimmy Akin has been low-carbing for years and lost 100 pounds and has even started a low-carb club. Picking up from Jimmy I went low-carb in June and have lost 60 pounds so far and I think for the first time in my life I am actually going for the lifestyle change and not the temp diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting your weight/diet thoughts. You inspired me to try again. I've done Atkins several times, but end up getting bored with meat and cheese and fall off the wagon. Carbs are so addictive for me!
    Asking the Holy Mother to help me stay in the fight this time.

    ReplyDelete