07 October 2007

...and for what do we pray...?

Several of you have sent emails promising to pray for me. And most of you have asked, "What are we praying for, Father?"

I'm not asking that you pray that I will be allowed to attend a specific school or that any particular school accept me.

Please, just pray that God's will be done in this matter, and that I be given the strength in obedience to do the best thing of my province and my growth in holiness.

It couldn't hurt to pay for financial help as well! One easy thing you can do to help me and the province out is to buy me a good philosophy book. . .save us a little money. Check out the Buy Fr. Philip PHILOSOPHY & THEOLOGY Wish List, look for those books marked "Highest" in the priority category,* and send them my way. Books in the UK are outrageously expensive. For example, a new theology text from Ashgate Publishers can run as high as $120.00. Books in Italy aren't that much less expensive. Truly, the US has some of the lowest book prices around. Throw in the used book buying option from Amazon.com and you have the perfect way to further educate an intellectually curious Dominican friar!

Though I have an undergrad degree in philosophy, the graduate level study of philosophy is not my first or second or third choice for advanced studies. I learned just last night that one of my four choices (listed in the post below) will require me to be fluent in Italian; have some reading knowledge of Latin and Greek; and that I be able to read philosophical texts in three of these four: English, French, German, and Spanish. That's five languages for a philosophy degree.

This is WAAAAYYYYYYY overkill.

But one must endure. . .AND be grateful for all prayers offered: my thanks for all the intercessions going on out there!

*I know, I know. How can I have more than one book listed as "highest priority"? The English prof in me finds this ridiculous. However, the poor friar that I am finds it necessary. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment