13 September 2007

Thanks and Come Again


Thank You notes are going out in the mail this morning! I have been truly humbled by the generosity of my Book Benefactors. The campus ministry office staff can tell you--I am a kid on Christmas morning when the mail comes each day. . .and if nothing arrives for me, well, I get just a little pouty (just a little!!), then I get over when I pick up a great new volume of poetry or one of these tremendous volumes on medieval biblical exegesis.

U.D.'s English dept. hired a new American lit professor this semester, Dr. Andrew Osborn. Dr. Osborn earned his Ph.D. at UTAustin and also holds an MFA in poetry from Iowa (the #1 ranked creative writing program in the world). I am hoping that Dr. Osborn will be able to set up a workshop or two here at U.D. in the very near future (i.e., "near enough" for me to take one). And I'm hoping he and I will be able to work together on our writing...though, I have to say, given Dr. Osborn's education and experience in writing poetry, I am getting the better end of this deal (sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. . .)

Check out the POETRY for Fr. Philip Wish List and you will find two recent additions to the list. These two books are designed to help writers get started, get focused and stay creative. You would be amazed at how useful some of these unexpected writing prompts can be!

Happy Thursday & God Bless-- Fr. Philip, OP

No comments:

Post a Comment